Saturday, September 22, 2012

Neon Decay

September 6, 2012    Backlogged Post



During a recent trip to Las Vegas, Nevada I decided to try and head over to the Neon Museum there. Upon checking the website I learned that the museum could not guarantee tours during the time I would be in town. I sent an email anyway, as instructed, to inform the museum staff of my interest. I received a reply saying that no, they could not accommodate me due to construction within the main section of the museum. Undaunted I drove there anyway, hoping that maybe I could shoot over a fence or at least see what I could come up with.

The museum isn't what it's title implies, or would at least mean to the average patron. It is all outdoor, and is effectively a sort of large, walled off, dirt, parking area that houses signs rather than cars. I really couldn't manage to get anything over the high walls surrounding the lot, but due to the construction (I assume) some pieces were being kept in the parking lot surrounded only by wire fence as opposed to the brick wall between myself and the rest of the neon collection. I was instantly attracted to the small collection available and look forward to possibly seeing more during my next trip. Hopefully it's open then!



Here is one of my first shots, neon peeking over the brick wall.


Neon Alphabet Dog Pile


I LOVE the shadows that the light bulbs create, so much texture.



More Yellow!


This was one of the few pieces that had most of its light bulbs intact.



I crawled up to a grate under one of the walls and stuck my camera through the bars to get this shot. You can see where some of the signs are taped off, it did seem like some type of construction was going on - I just couldn't tell what exactly.



No comments:

Post a Comment