Thursday, May 17, 2012

First try at Product photography


Here is my first and (so far) only Product shot. This was done for a college photography class and was much more involved than I originally anticipated. I chose Pond's skin cream because I had it on hand and it's simple container colors appealed to me; I felt like I had more options with a simple container than I would with a busy one. I also decided very quickly that I wanted to work with some type of flower or multiple blooms.
On the day of class that we were scheduled to shoot our products, I had a bag of different flowers and ferns with me along with a couple of plant pods and some miniature peaches. I had a vague idea in mind but no concrete plan for the look of my final photo. As we got closer to my turn as photographer I noticed that the plants and flowers I had with me were beginning to wilt. All of the flowers and leaves in the photo below were from the flower beds around my campus, I was even lucky enough to find a dead lady bug!


The lady bug received mixed reviews but the overall reaction to my final shot was positive. I really like the way all the colors in the leaves and flowers compliment the colors of the jar rather than matching it. The fern leaves on the right also helped to separate the jar from the similarly colored backdrop. I don't know that product photography is really my calling, it's definitely not a passion. It is nice to know that I have a style of photography to fall back on if I am unsuccessful in portraiture.

No comments:

Post a Comment